Explore documents on this site
Social Enquiry publications
Social Enquiry blog (opens new tab)
Search Social Enquiry
- When Providence divided the earth [2008-11-16 | Revised]
- Adam Smith believed that, due to the natural course, "When Providence divided the earth among a few lordly masters, it neither forgot nor abandoned those who seemed to have been left out in the partition. These last too enjoy their share of all that it produces."
- Problems on the supply side [2008-11-30]
- People often believe they pay too much tax. Some ideologues see reducing taxation as being good because it gives the government less tax-payer money to spend, (sometimes known as 'starving the beast'). However, taxes can be reduced and the government have less tax-payer money to spend, but the result is that government debt is increased. Tax cuts do not increase revenues.
- Health and Social Insecurity [2008-11-28 | Revised]
- There is no US law (or common understanding) that says every person in the USA is entitled, as a right, to health care, and there are people who think 'I mean, people have access to health care in America. After all, you just go to an emergency room.' After all, 'Medical science knows very little about your ailment, Mr Figby, except that it probably would be much worse under socialized medicine!'